Monday, July 13, 2015

Vintage Tribune

Whether or not you have visited Chicago, The Chicago Tribune's Instagram of vintage photos is certain to make you fall in love with the Windy City. With photos being uploaded daily highlighting various historical events, decades and people, it's a great way to learn something new while also envision what life was like generations ago. It's quite a treat!


The Wrigley Building and Tribune Tower, 1945. Check out the building and railroad tracks west of the Wrigley Building where the Trump Tower now stands.

Mary Gorman helps prepare an exhibit for the annual chrysanthemum show at Washington Park in 1929.


A workman checks for cracks in the Wrigley Building's terra cotta facade and its iconic clock in April 1977. 


Mr. and Mrs. John Barnes, part of Chicago's "society", stroll down Lake Shore Drive on Easter Sunday with their dog Dandy in 1932. 

Agnes O'Malley of Oak Park dances with Pvt. Leo J. Kedziora of Chicago at the Chicago Servicemen's Center in August 1945. Photo by Josef Szalay.

Members of the Chicago City Ballet strike poses of ballerinas in the paintings and sculptures of Edgar Degas at the Art Institute of Chicago in 1984.

Youngsters plunge into Lake Michigan for relief from the August heat in 1973. Photo by James Mayo.

The Mooseheart band on parade during the 42nd annual Loyal Order of Moose convention, July 4, 1930, in Mooseheart, Ill. A crowd of more than 30,000 attended the holiday celebration.

A final show of fireworks explodes beyond Lake Point Tower at the end of ChicagoFest at Navy Pier in August 1979. Photo by Walter Kale.

Richard Nosal, 13, shows off for friends at Bunker Hill Forest Preserve, July 1969.

June 11, 1964: The Rolling Stones hold a press conference in front of the Tribune Tower. From left: Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, Charlie Watts, Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. The Tribune story that ran June 12, 1964, said "The visit of the Rolling Stones, who say they are singers, ended abruptly yesterday on North Michigan Avenue. A barber came along. There are five Rolling Stones, all from London. All wear tight trousers and haggard looks. All of them slouch. Each look unkempt. And they wear their hair, they vow, two inches longer than The Beatles. And that's where Larry Koznatz came in. Koznatz is a barber in the Sheraton-Chicago Hotel. The Rolling Stones were slouched in five folding chairs on the sidewalk in front of Tribune Tower's Nathan Hale court. Squealing teenagers, incredulous adults, and members of the press surrounded them." When Koznatz tried to hold scissors next to their hair, the Stones' manager Andrew Oldham refused. When Koznatz got closer, off went the Stones.

Steven Katt pours champagne for Terry Strunck at Burnham Harbor in 1983.

Washington Park's boating season officially opened in April 1928 with Ruth Hamquist, from left, Marie Cannon, Marion Lynch and Helen Kelly taking a tour of the lagoon. This scene is in the daytime, but at night the occupants of the park boats are more apt to be young couples gliding over moonlit waters.

An estimated 100,000 people pack Washington Park for barbecue, music, and politics during Sunday afternoon's neighborhood festival on July 10, 1983.


Pedestrians stroll by the F.W. Woolworth store, State and Washington streets, July 1938.


The Pacific Garden Mission, 646 S. South State St., 1956. The mission, founded in 1877, is now located at 1458 S. Canal Street. The State Street location was demolished to make room for an expansion of Jones College Prep.


A mother and daughter pose in their home-sewn dresses outside the Tribune Tower in July 1968. The patterns were identified in the caption as No. 8383 for mom and daughter's as No. 8384. "A smart chain belt" was added by mom.


Mary Hays, who is blind, is the Braille proof-reader and transcriber at the Chicago Chapter of the American Red Cross in 1929.


Here's a little Blackhawks history for your day: Mr. and Mrs. Frederic McLaughlin (formerly Irene Castle) in 1928. McLaughlin purchased a Chicago ice hockey franchise and named them the Blackhawks in 1926. His wife Irene is credited with creating the Indian Head design of the first Blackhawk sweater. McLaughlin would own the team for 18 years and see two Stanley Cup wins.


Dancing away the blues at the 2nd annual Chicago Blues Festival in June 1985. 


A recent glass-plate negative find: Reri the Hawaiian dancer in 1932. 


Le Petit Gourmet's outdoor space in the Italian Court, 619 N. Michigan Avenue, around 1930. The Italian Court was an urban sanctuary, razed to make way for a new highrise at 625 N. Michigan in 1968. The Tribune's Mark Jacob and Stephan Benzkofer, in their "10 Things" column, wrote: "The Italian Court was a series of apartments and shops at the southeast corner of Michigan Avenue and Ontario Street. Nestled in the courtyard was Le Petit Gourmet, a cherished date-night rendezvous for Chicagoans ... In the 1920s, the restaurant hosted Sunday evening literary 'readings.' For a dollar, patrons enjoyed coffee, cakes — and the privilege of conversing with the likes of Robert Frost, Carl Sandburg, Vachel Lindsay and Edna St. Vincent Millay after they recited their poetry."


Mrs. T. Clifford Rodman (center) and Mrs. Russell Kelley arrive for the opening night of the Chicago Civic Opera on Nov. 3, 1927, at the Auditorium Theatre. The opera was La Traviata, with Claudia Muzio and Tito Schipa.


An undated photo of the Black Pearl restaurant, 590 W. Diversey. In a review published April 21, 1963, Kay Loring wrote, "The Black Pearl is a fine spot, I've found, for entertaining out of town guests who have a yen for Polynesian dishes. Chef Jimmy, who served his apprenticeship at Trader Vic's in San Francisco, has been doing a bang-up good job here, especially on such Polynesian main dishes as the chicken or beef snow peas, beef imperial, chicken almond, and lobster cooked in wine and butter sauce. We particularly like the Tiki room where surroundings are interesting and there's a stringed trio ... I'm told the husky voiced woman singer, who looks as if she hails straight from the islands, actually is Hungarian."


The Trident, left, and White Cloud, right, start the Race to Mackinac in July 1947. White Cloud had won the race in 1942.



Follow Twirling Clare: Facebook//Instagram//Pinterest//Tumblr//Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...