Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lenten Prayers

Greetings all, today is Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent. I have always appreciated Lent and am especially looking forward to this upcoming season. I think it is a great check point for those New Year's resolutions and a time to dive deeper into practices that are better for your soul. It is the perfect time to reflect on how we're feeling and what we can do to be better people. The Lenten season is a time for us to give-up a couple of things, so we can make time and room for those things that are more important - especially our relationship with God. A 40-day opportunity for us to change our lives and become better people.
The winter blues are so easy to wear us down, especially with the winter we've been having. Daylight savings time is this weekend and spring finally feels like it's right around the corner. It's amazing what a little light can do! Light energizes us both in our health and our hearts. What a perfect time to start a Lenten Journey!
This lent, I am giving up and doing things to motivate me to be a better Christian. Additionally, I have fallen off the bandwagon in some of my new year's pursuits - so I hope that this will allow me to become rededicated!
I haven't failed COMPLETELY in my endeavors for the New Year, and I have actually had a few significant accomplishments. I go to yoga class about 2x a week. The square near my house has a couple of studios and they offer community classes on the weekend, which works perfectly with my schedule. I feel much better and even a little stronger since taking the classes. I have been busy reading once again. I had read a lot of books over my holiday trip to Arizona. Although I haven't knocked down four books in a week like I did on our trip, I have been incorporating it into my lifestyle. I am reading The Alchemist right now and just finished Fountainhead. Next on the list? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Bill O'Reilly's Killing Jesus (I feel like now is a better time than any).
Let me know of your reading reccos!

So what am I doing for Lent?
I am giving up my phone after 8:00. That's right. No liking my way through Instagram, no late-night tumbling, no Facebook scrolling. I want to focus on using the evenings to relax, spend time with family, start new projects (crafts, books, etc), take walks, or attend functions. Hopefully, this will help me be more motivated in the mornings as well. Studies have said that looking at your smartphone after 9:00 can produce symptoms that make you feel like you're hungover the next morning. And that's the LAST thing I need. Hopefully I will be more rejuvenated in the mornings and can spend time either going to morning mass at 6:30 and/or taking a quick jog before work. The light (and early sleep) can do wonderful things.
And for indulgence sake, I am giving up ice cream. I have been enjoying my creamy dessert sooo much this year and I think it'll be a good practice to take a break from the sweets for a few weeks.
In the past, I have had a couple successful Lenten seasons. One year I gave up celebrity gossip, Coco Perez, People.com - the whole slew. I knew more about Suri Cruise than I did about my own life sometimes! It worked magically and I haven't gone back since. In fact, I sometimes still think it's 2009 in the Hollywood world. Do you know how many marriages have failed since then??? Anyways, another year I gave up sweets and I never remember feeling better. In fact, it was a couple weeks after Easter before I even ate treats because they seemed so unappetizing.
I want to focus on nightly reflections - to expand beyond my prayer journal and reflect on how I am feeling, where I am, how my day went, and other things that we as humans ponder quite often. This will be a daily prayer, a time to take away from mindless tasks - to actually allot to God. A catch-up with him, giving him a low-down on my life. Yes, praying can be that easy.

Wishing you a blessed Lenten Season. I'd love to hear if you have any goals for the Holy time.

Toodles!

(via)

Follow Twirling Clare: Facebook//Instagram//Pinterest//Tumblr//Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...