Friday, April 4, 2014

fresh face

I saw this top photo on The Sartorialist yesterday and I loved the make-up free, radiant, and beautiful shot. It prompted me to go exploring for other fresh face images - not including celebrity make-up free selfies. 
I have never been a fan of make-up, in fact most days I rarely even comb my hair. I just clip it up and hope for the best. I have never read a beauty section in a magazine, I get my hair cut at Great Clips, and this is the first time in 3+ years of blogging that I have ever even talked about make-up on the blog! My care free beauty regiment suits me, although I don't think it would hurt to try a little harder every now and then...starting with brushing my hair and remembering chap stick.
My first brush with make-up came when I was a freshman in college. My roommates had fun dressing me up for nights out - eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara, lip gloss - the whole nine yards. I had never experienced the "going out phenomenon" so I just went with the flow. For most of my freshman year (on the weekends) I wore some form of make-up. I look back on those pictures and cringe. Granted, I wasn't caking on layers of foundation, painting elaborate cat-eyes, but I don't think I looked "me." That make-up bandwagon didn't last very long and now the only make-up I own is a bronzer from Sephora. I like a ruddier look - more natural and lively. I tend to have rosier cheeks anyways (especially after a drink or two) and choose a healthier tinge over dramatic eyes any day. My mom has some mascara and I have used that a couple of times over the past year or so, but for the most part, I want a no-fuss and natural look. 
There's no right or wrong way to do a beauty routine, I quickly found out what worked, or rather didn't work, for me. The one thing that bothers me is when people say I am so fortunate to not have to wear make-up. No one needs to wear make-up. There is nothing wrong with you if you do, but there certainly shouldn't be any reason that you feel like make-up is a necessity. We are all beautiful and have so many fabulous ways to show our uniqueness - through our style, careers, relationships, aspirations, intellect, actions, and, most importantly, our hearts. 
So on that note - I wish all the glamorous cover girls and bare-faced beauties a wonderful weekend. Thanks for always following along, toodles!










Follow Twirling Clare: Facebook//Instagram//Pinterest//Tumblr//Twitter

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...