Friday, September 11, 2015

Elsa Schiaparelli

I am currently reading the biography of Elsa Schiaparelli and have been utterly captivated. 
While perusing the biography section at the library I came across this blush pink cover and brought it home with me. After being in a bit of a literary lag this summer and not reading as much as I would have liked the past few weeks, I threw the biography in my tote bag when I went to the pool this Monday to spend some final hours sun bathing and page turning. 
Elsa Schiaparelli: A Biography, written by Meryle Secrest, came out last fall. Covering the life & legacy of one of the most pivotal figures in fashion, I have had such an enjoyable time reading about the artist, her creative mind, her muses, models and devotees, her partners (artistic and personal) and the historical undertones that wove through her life & transformed not just the world of fashion, but the world as we know it.
The first time I heard of Elsa Schiaparelli was in my early days of blogging, although her influence came even earlier. As a young adolescent, I devoured the kate spade books (style, occasions, manners). In style, kate spade featured the infamous lobster dress, created by Elsa Schiaparelli and Salvador Dali, and worn by Wallis Simpson (blogged about here). That dress reoccured for a brief moment in college. It was the first or second weekend of my freshman year in college, one of those end of summer evenings when weather is in its absolute prime and I was walking around fraternity hill (probably in white shorts, a crew neck t-shirt and a flower pin), thinking about how absolutely delightful it would be to have a white tent party with twinkling christmas lights, a champagne fountain and a big band jazz band - right here on the hill. My outfit of choice? A lobster dress. But in reality what were the party venue options in college? I was headed to a gross fraternity house that reeked of stale beer with girls and guys that were far from stylish. It didn't take long for me to understand that my dreams of a champagne, starlight evening in a lobster dress might have to start on some ugly couch sipping Natty Light. Needless to say, my transition and journey through college, was quite interesting to say the least...and I guess Elsa Schiaparelli will always have somewhat of a lasting impression on my introductory college status quo :)
If you're looking for a book to read, I'd definitely recommend this biography. Listen to the NPR review below and you can purchase the book here.

















Follow Twirling Clare: Facebook//Instagram//Pinterest//Tumblr//Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...