Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year!!


I always strive to be the best person I can be. New Year's is a time for me to renew that philosophy, put things into perspective. In order for us to make this year the best it can, we come up with resolutions, or promises that we make to ourselves to improve our health, our happiness, and our lives. 

I am sharing my Resolutions for the New Year with you today:


1. 13.1
A few of my friends and I are training for a 1/2 Marathon. I have never ran in a race before, particularly of such caliber, but I am looking forward to it. I am well aware that there will be a lot of training in the next few months, but I am thrilled to be sporting my athletic gear, having the cold wind flush my cheeks a nice rosy red, and listening to some pump-up jams. It will be a joy to complete the race which takes place on May 6th in Columbus. 
2. ACTS
When  I was a senior in high school I took a Prayer class. Throughout the course, we were instructed to keep a Prayer Journal referred to as ACTS. Each letter stood for a different type of prayer and every night, this was how we were to pray. 
A (Adoration) -Praise to God, his glory and his grace
C (Contrition) -Realizing that you can always do better
T (Thanksgiving) -Thank God for all that He has given us
S (Supplication) -Asking God to be with us, bless us, and to take care of those around us
These are the outlines for each of the initials, with this guideline, we personalize our prayers, curtailing them to our actions throughout the day. We celebrate the beauty in each moment. 
I am hoping to journal this every night. 
3. Snail Mail 
I am horrible with keeping in touch with people via technology. Ask anyone who knows me, half the time my phone is lost or I neglect to answer it. I take too long to return emails. And I frequently forget to respond to text messages. The perils of a social media child! I have always enjoyed writing letters and I hope to utilize this mode of communication more this upcoming year. Everyone enjoys getting a special treat in their mailbox and nothing is more gracious than a handwritten note. (It's a bonus that you'll be helping the Post Office financially as well!)
4. Keeping up with the World News
Being a college student surrounded in an academic setting, focusing on the community around me, I still sometimes feel that I am ignorant of what is happening in both the world and nation. Sometimes the pressured of academics and extra curriculars overtake my life and I neglect many things, including the news. With the upcoming year being an election year and as we remain in the midst of continued perils throughout the world, I am striving to be more aware of the surrounding cultures and to keep up-to-date with the news. My school has New York Times delivered every day and I am hoping to sit down at least 3-4 days a week and read the paper (not just the style section). 

And, I will strive to keep the inspirations coming! 
Look forward to another year filled with much happiness and many adventures from Twirling Clare. 
Thanks for all of your support!!

Remember to live each day to the fullest and treasure all of the little, special moments in life. We have so much to be grateful for and so much to celebrate.

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your resolutions! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, Clare! These resolutions are fabulous. I especially like the snail mail one. I need to write more to friends and family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love all of these! the ACTS journal sounds like a great plan that i should adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that first quote!! So great to find your blog!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just noticed that a couple of our resolutions are the same! I'm shooting for a 5k in April/May-ish and working on keeping up with current events. We'll have to monitor each other's progress throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...